This station will be used for future passenger train service
to western North Carolina.
The Old Fort Depot was built in 1881, according to the 1916 valuation by the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC).
25 West Main Street
Project Overview: Harris Architects of Brevard completed the design phase in early 2003. Renovation work began in August 2003, and construction was completed in April 2005.
The station renovation included a new metal shingle roof, new plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and fire sprinkler systems, new restrooms, and ADA accessibility. Graffitti from as early as the 1880s was uncovered during the restoration and remains uncovered as part of the museum display.
The renovated station now serves as headquarters for the Old Fort Chamber of Commerce and McDowell County Tourism Authority. It also houses exhibits which focus on local railroad history.