Your train crew and station staff are committed to providing your group with the most comfortable, safe and fun trip possible! Making your group familiar with these guidelines before you leave will help ensure everyone has a great trip.
For the safety of your group and others, please review the following guidelines:
- WALK - Don't run! - on the train or in the stations. This is for the safety of your group as well as the other train passengers.
- Stay behind the yellow line while waiting on the platform to board the train.
- Hold on to the hand rails while boarding, de-training or moving between the coaches. Train motion may cause you to lose your balance when the train is moving.
- Keep shoes on at all times. Never move about the train or station barefoot.
- Do not turn or reverse the seats to face each other.
- Keep your coach clean! Restrooms, a water fountain and waste containers are at the end of each coach. Large plastic trash bags also will be provided for your group if needed. Remember, other passengers will be boarding after your group leaves.
- Stay in your seats and keep aisles clear. Backpacks and bookbags should be kept under seats or in the overhead luggage racks.
- Do NOT stand or play in the vestibule areas between cars.
- Caution students to put all trash in the trash cans and not the toilet. When toilets become clogged, they may have to be locked and taken out of service.
- When de-training, stay in your seats until the train comes to a complete stop. Board or de-train as directed by station or train crew members.
No Smoking is allowed on the Piedmont or Carolinian.
Listen to announcements from the Amtrak crew and/or volunteer Train Hosts for important safety information as well as in-route updates and station arrival information. (Each coach has its own public address system for use as needed.)
Teachers: Please instruct students in advance that they represent your school. Your school's behavior guidelines and expectations should apply on board the train, in the station and throughout the day, as they do in your classroom. Encourage your students to be respectful of other passengers' needs, as there will be many other Amtrak passengers traveling on your train as well.
Seating arrangements: A block of seats will be assigned to accommodate your group. The conductors will make every effort to place your group together. Please fill every seat in the block of seats assigned to you. Trips to the cafe car should be made in small groups of 8 or less, and always accompanied by an adult. Students should not leave the coach without permission from your group leader and the train conductor. Please do not move about the train during station stops.